Episode 33: The ONE Diet You Need To Follow In 2020 And Beyond
Hello and welcome back to the Slim & Satisfied Podcast!
Your Best Bet for Healthy Eating in 2020
As the new year approaches, I want to share with all of you the one diet you should consider following for 2020: The Mediterranean Diet. This diet is the one I successfully use in my practice with many of my PCOS clients. The reason I feel strongly that this is the ONE diet that’s healthy across the board is that it has been proven to be highly effective in reducing disease risk and is also highly enjoyable and easy to stick with, which is a major downside of other plans. With some minor tweaks, this style of eating can truly help you reach most, if not all, your health goals in 2020!
What The Science Is Saying
Studies have shown that a Mediterranean diet can offer incredible benefits such as improved cardiovascular health, longevity, and weight loss. I especially like this diet for PCOS weight-loss because it is designed to help reduce inflammation as well as insulin-resistance, and it can even help women with issues such as fertility, cravings and acne.
So, in this episode, I offer 10 simple, easy quick ways to begin a Mediterranean diet. These include:
- Having fish as a source of protein 2-3 times per week
- Using olive oil generously, incorporating about ½ cup of olive oil into your diet each day
- Adopting a produce-first approach
- Eating 2 servings of fruit per day while making sure to portion control and pair them properly
- Including 1.5oz of nuts in your diet each day
- Focusing on whole-grains, specifically uncommon grains like farro, millet and bulgur wheat
- Flavoring everything with herbs, not salt
- Moderating alcohol consumption
- Eating slowly and savor your food
- Making lunch your biggest meal of the day
What To Do Next
I recommend starting out by incorporating 2-3 of these into your diet. If they work, you can add more, and if they don’t, you can try different ones; you can pick and choose which strategies work best for you. As we’ve discussed in the past, lifestyle and food choices are more important than any other intervention for people with PCOS, and the success of this diet lies in how sustainable and enjoyable it can be without it feeling restrictive. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.
What You’ll Learn in This Episode:
- The history and science behind the Mediterraean diet
- The health benefits of a Mediterranean diet and how it can specifically help with health problems associated with PCOS
- 10 ways to begin a Mediterraean diet
- Strategies for incorporating food recommendations into your diet
- Why mindfulness when eating can assist with weight-loss
Find my “PCOS-Proof Kitchen Guide” with collected recipes at:www.dafnachazin.com/pcosplan
Questions, or interested in becoming a client? Email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Join me on IG: @pcosnutritionistdafna